Tuesday, 26 January 2016

The Degrees of Separation

So this week I had to leave Addi for the very first time. Yes that's right. Go out into the big, wide world for an ENTIRE DAY (well from 9 till 3 anyway) without my baby.

Our babysitter for the day was my wonderful mother-in-law Robyn aka "Nanny Rob" who more than jumped at the opportunity when we asked her a few weeks back to babysit the girls. (And yes Mum, you'll get to babysit next time, calm your farm!!)


All ready for a day with Nanny Rob

I only did this because it was an appointment we both had to go to and really couldn't bring Addi with us. Now don't think for one second I had any doubt about Nanny Rob's ability to look after our little gems! After all she raised 3 of her own, including my glorious husband. Nor did I think the girls would mind - I don't think Addi even noticed I was gone, and quite frankly I think Kali would much prefer spending the day with her favourite-person-in-the-world anyway. 

You can determine Kali's level of love by the velocity of her wagging tail upon someone's arrival. And when Nanny Rob's car pulls up out the front, you can be sure Kali's tail could whip you so hard it would look like you've been involved in some sort of kinky 50 Shades of Grey accident. 

Back to D day. I had been dreading this day for weeks - how could I leave my poor little infant ALL DAY??? How would she cope without my love, cuddles and constant annoying high-pitched chitchat? But wait... Maybe the problem was me. I got so worked up fretting about this day that it crept up on me like a sneaky leaf of coriander hiding in my Thai... Until the morning was here and I could no longer hide from it. 

Much to my surprise I handled it quite well and I give myself 83 pats on the back for keeping it together. I didn't cry nor did Dean have to pry Addi out of my motherly kung fu grip. Everyone survived! 

Also a special mention to princess Avalon & handsome Oliver who have both started BIG school this week in QLD! I wonder how your Mummies coped?! The very best of luck at school, you 'lil rock stars will smash it!! 

So congratulations to me for not having an emotional meltdown. A well done to Avie & Oliver's parents for obviously keeping it together (I only presume this as I heard no echoed sobbing coming from Brisbane or from the Gold Coast). And a massive thank you to Nanny Rob for babysitting. Hopefully Addi didn't cause you enough grief so you'll never want to do it again (that is if I'm on my death bed and can't lift my arms to hold my little cherub). 

So to all the mumma bears out there who face leaving their bubbas for the day (even an hour) or farewelling their little protégées off to big school - remember they'll be fine. They might flash their pink undies to the boys or swap their apple for a Nutella cup, but they're your little angels and you've done an amazing job.

L xx

No comments:

Post a Comment